Thursday, April 12, 2007

Goodbye Jonathan

I was surfing on youtube thinking what to search for next. Jonathan Brandis flashed through my mind quite unexpectedly. I havent thought of him since many years!

He was one of my few teenage heros, an actor I really admired and I was expecting much from him! I had been a fan of SeaQuest DSV, long before I got to know Star Trek. Jonathan played the role of a prodigy teenager, an expert at computers and a genious scientist. The only teenager in a government submarine that traveled through the seas a bit like the Enterprise did through the galaxies. Jonathan belonged to my generation, he was an extrordinary young actor, adored by fans, who posessed great charisma and personal magnetism.

So after many years I search for Jonathan in youtube. The results were quite odd. Memorials... ? A quick search through google and I knew all about it. Jonathan Brandis commited suicide in 2003 :(.

Tragic is the way he killed himself. Tragic is that he had no suicidal tendencies and this was most unexpected. Tragic is that the real reason to his suicide might be the psychological pressure of the star system in hollywood.

What the real reason is, we ll probably never know. May he find peace.

1 comment:

Indeterminacy said...

It's tragic to lose anyone in this way. Some people just seem to be predisposed to this to a depressive outlook - they think in circles that drag them down. There's no optimistic self-defense mechanism, like most of us have, that switches in to pull them up again.